The Dental Hygienist is responsible for providing preventive oral health care, educational, clinical and therapeutic services to patients. This position reports to the Department Head of Dental.
- Provides dental cleaning service and identifies oral and systemic health problems such as cavities, oral cancer or high blood pressure, referring to dentist for evaluation and treatment, as needed.
- Consistently instructs patients in techniques of proper oral care.
- Provides educational information on oral health promotion and dietary habits for good oral health.
- Maintains a safe hygienic and comfortable patient environment.
- Ensure the delivery of all oral health treatment and care is consistent with all regulatory, accreditation, and professional standards, including clinical policies and quality initiatives. Practice intraoral functions as defined by the Maryland State Board of Dental Examiners
- Understand and ensure all practices and procedures related to the delivery of oral health services are consistent with contracted protocols and procedures.
- Establish a favorable working relationship with all staff members associated with the organization.
- Possess a positive working relationship with patients, contractors, vendors, third party payer resources and related entities.
Leadership & Stewardship
- Uphold and consistently represent the values, mission, and policies of the organization at all times.
PRIMARY TASKS AND DUTIES
- Provides dental cleaning services while assuring a safe hygienic and comfortable patient environment.
- Documents patient information and care in medical record assuring accuracy and completeness.
- Take dental radiographs when appropriate for evaluation by a dentist.
- Provides oral health education to patients and families.
- All other duties as assigned
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS/KEY COMPETENCIES
- Ability to perform basic functions of cleaning teeth and gums.
- Knowledge to provide preventive, therapeutic and educational methods for controlling oral disease as an aid to patients.
- Good knowledge of dental equipment.
- Ability to assist dentist in dental exams
Certificate or Associate Degree in Dental Hygiene Program
Maryland State Dental Hygiene license and radiology certificate
1 to 2 year’s experience