The University of Florida, College of Dentistry (UFCD) invites applications and nominations for the Chair of the Department of Community Dentistry and Behavioral Science (CDBS). The CDBS Chair is an integral part of the College of Dentistry’s administrative team and provides leadership to further grow a diverse department while cultivating new partnerships and collaborations. The Department encompasses a multifaceted program of teaching, research, population-based care, and community service. Through the assessment of oral health care needs of the community, the Department advocates for, and creates, innovative evidence-based programs to improve oral health outcomes of vulnerable Floridians. Its work is underpinned by activities aimed at improving health equity and access to care, promoting optimal oral health, driving oral health policy and preventing disease through research, teaching and service. The Department’s translational, clinical and epidemiologic studies form the basis for research on caries prevention and education, access to care, health disparities, and an extensive portfolio of pain related studies aimed at identifying methods for optimal pain treatment and personalized pain care. These include among others, studies on pain resilience, sleep pain and aging, pain and weight management, alcohol use and chronic orofacial pain among others, opening up multiple opportunities to apply artificial intelligence methods and other tools to enhance the pain portfolio.
CDBS houses Community Based Programs and has oversight for two centers. The Center for Pain Research and Intervention Center of Excellence (PRICE) is a multi-college center of excellence that serves as the professional home for UF scientists, clinicians and trainees dedicated to improve the understanding and treatment of pain. The Southeast Center for Research to Reduce Disparities in Oral Health was established in 2008 and focuses on interdisciplinary approaches to address inequalities in oral health among Floridians. The Department Chair is responsible for the overall administration and management of the department which includes 25 full and part-time faculty, and 30 staff.
The Chair of CDBS will have the opportunity to be actively engaged in teaching, research, service and/or patient care activities of the college. Academic rank and appointment on tenure or non-tenure track commensurate with experience and accomplishments.
- Establishing a vision and strategic plan for the future of the department in consultation with the dean and aligned with the college, health science center and university.
- Overall fiscal and administrative management of the department.
- Coordinating with the School of Advanced Dental Sciences which provides oversight of the Advanced Education in General Dentistry (AEGD) Programs housed in UFCD care centers in Hialeah and St. Petersburg.
- Oversight of Community Based Programs, which includes service learning and clinical rotations for predoctoral students in health care centers throughout the state.
- Ensuring that the department allocates faculty and other resources to meet the academic and clinical needs of the predoctoral dental program.
- Leading the education, research, service and patient care missions of the department.
- Recruiting and mentoring faculty and ensuring their evaluation and professional development.
- Ensuring a culture of diversity, equity, inclusion, excellence, hospitality, collegiality, and collaboration.
- Ph.D. in an area of alignment with departmental mission or Dr.PH. or D.D.S., D.M.D. or equivalent degree.
- Associate or Full Professor Academic Rank. Must be qualified to be appointed at the associate or professor level at UFCD.
- Must have at least five years of administrative experience in an academic setting.
- Demonstrated leadership, communication, collaboration, interpersonal and team building skills.
- Demonstrated experience in supervising the work of others in an academic setting.
- A record of scholarly accomplishments at the national level.
- Commitment to innovation in education, research and patient care.
- Additional advanced education or advanced degree preferred.
- Expertise in dental public health, oral epidemiology, health services research, health disparities, behavioral sciences or pain-related research.
- Demonstrated experience working closely or directly with senior school administration, university administration, governing boards for higher education and accrediting agencies.
- Demonstrated experience and leadership responsibility with professional organizations dedicated to education.
UFCD is one of the leading dental schools in the United States devoted to improving and promoting oral health throughout Florida, the nation and worldwide through excellence in teaching, research, patient care and service. UFCD currently ranks fifth among all US dental schools based in NIDCR funding and 7th in NIH funding to dental institutions. There are extensive opportunities across UF and UF Health for collaborations in research, patient care and interdisciplinary professional education.
The University of Florida, a member of the AAU, is the largest and most comprehensive public university in the state of Florida, with large undergraduate, graduate, and postgraduate educational programs. UF currently ranks 5th among the nation’s top-10 public universities (U.S. News and World Report). The UF Health Science Center and its six colleges (Dentistry, Medicine, Nursing, Pharmacy, Public Health and Health Professions, Veterinary Medicine) are co-located on the Gainesville campus, with additional teaching, research, and patient care sites throughout Florida, and beyond.
The University of Florida is an Equal Opportunity Employer dedicated to building a broadly diverse and inclusive faculty and staff. The University of Florida invites all qualified applicants to apply. The University of Florida is a public institution and subject to all requirements under Florida Sunshine and Public Records laws.
The review of applications will begin immediately and will continue until the position is filled. To apply, please go to https://jobs.ufl.edu and search for requisition number 85062. Applicants should attach a curriculum vitae, cover letter describing their interest in the position as well as diversity statement, and a list of three references with their application for consideration.
For more information about the University of Florida College of Dentistry, visit: www.dental.ufl.edu.