A.T. Still University’s Arizona School of Dentistry and Oral Health (ATSU-ASDOH) invites applications for an Assistant Professor, Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery on the Mesa, Arizona campus. This position will conduct teaching, patient care, scholarly and service activities in support of the mission, goals and objectives of the School and University with primary responsibility to facilitate the students’ preclinical and clinical experience in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery from foundational knowledge and clinical skills to demonstrating competency in patient-centered care that integrates biomedical, behavioral and clinical sciences.
Major Job Duties:
- General – promote an atmosphere of respect, collegiality, commitment to diversity and social justice, and humanistic learning environment.
- General – conduct teaching, scholarship, service and patient care in support of the mission and goals of ASDOH and ATSU.
- Teaching – preclinical and clinical supervision as an Oral Surgeon with direct hands on in the Simulation Lab and ASDOH clinics; effectively carry out lecture, seminar, preclinical and clinical assignments as assigned, with a focus on Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery.
- Service – Participate in committees, faculty governance, professional societies and associations, community events, and provision of CE.
- Scholarship - As workload allows, establish and maintain activity in area of expertise.
- PreClinical and Clinical Supervision: Provide direct hands on supervision of predoctoral dental students in simulation and patient care activities within the scope of general dentistry with a focus on oral & maxillofacial surgery; provide clinical supervision of ASDOH residents as assigned.
- Oversee the development, implementation, revision and assessment of curriculum as assigned, integrating oral & maxillofacial surgery with other predoctoral curriculum, including behavioral, biomedical and clinical sciences.
- Documentation: Complete documentation on student performance/progress towards competency; review and approve EHR documentation in clinic and simulation lab.
- Coordinate with responsible Administrators & Asst/Assoc Deans in Clinic and Simulation Lab to establish protocols related to curriculum responsibility areas; enforce clinic policy including infection control, QI, risk management, recordkeeping, etc & assure safety. Support Director of Clinic Operations in the supervision and direction of clinic support staff.
- Provide direct hands on patient care in ASDOH Clinics that supports community service, efficient clinic operations, student/resident education, or when in the best interest of the patient (e.g: guiding, demonstration and completion of oral surgical procedures in support of students, residents and faculty).
- Effectively carry out lecture, seminar and clinical assignments and responsibilities as assigned, including appropriate student assessment and documentation.
- Provide faculty development, training, and calibration related to curricular content.
- Other responsibilities as assigned.
Position Requirements and Preferences:
- Education: Completion of an advanced education program in OMFS from an institution accredited by the American Dental Association Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA); Board Eligible / Board Certified in OMFS.
- Experience: At least five years’ experience in clinical oral surgery practice (time in advanced graduate training in oral surgeon may be included).
- Preferences: Eligibility for dental licensure in Arizona; DDS or DMD from a CODA accredited program; experience in academics, clinical research and private clinical practice.Excellent communication, problem solving, crisis management and organizational skills, high emotional intelligence, tact and diplomacy.
Must be able to be self-directed and take the initiative.
Must be highly skilled in clinical oral surgery; willing and able to act as a “hands-on” faculty instructor (e.g.; clinic demonstration, direct student observation of clinical activity).