JOB TITLE: Dental Hygienist
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
Under general supervision of a Dentist in a practice setting. Dental Hygienist provides preventative and therapeutic oral care as well as assesses the patient's risk of dental disease. Utilizes established dental hygiene protocols and procedures. Follows and supports the CARE model for patient experience.PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Supports the overall mission of DentaQuest Care Group.
- Assesses dental conditions and risk, uses patient screening procedures, to include medical history review, dental charting, and Perio charting; takes patient vital signs as required.
- Follow all state dental practice acts to deliver direct care to patients as assigned and using established dental hygienist procedures; performs routine treatment procedures, such as cleaning, polishing, x-rays, application of sealants, fluoride s and varnish e s, and related procedures.
- Perform periodontal maintenance and other periodontal procedures as indicated.
- Develops and implements individualized dental care plans for patients; performs patient education and risk protocols, discharge planning, and patient/family teaching under the direction of a dentist.
- Provides chair-side assistance to dentist in the performance of special tests, procedures, and complex treatments.
- Makes impressions of patients' teeth as needed.
- Documents dental history of chief complaint; records and reports pertinent observations and patient reactions to dental team, as appropriate; documents lab procedures and ensures follow up on result.
- Assists with or institutes emergency measures for sudden adverse which may occur during treatment.
- Performs patient triage and initiates patient care as appropriate for allpatients.
- Assists in preparation of patient care areas, and in the patient admission, transfer, and discharge process, as required; prepares reports and assists as required with patient reception, telephone calls, and other office duties.
- Performs miscellaneous job-related duties as assigned.
- Assumes responsibility for the upkeep of the dental operatory and equipment; promptly notifying practice manager of any problems which may affect their ability to deliver safe and timely dental care.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of dental equipment in assigned operatories and for the assigned equipment. Regularly and thoroughly performs maintenance of assigned equipment consistent with the upkeep of the other treatment rooms.
- Ensures use of downtime to include cleaning and stocking operatories as well as helping the rest of clinical team as needed.
- Attends and participates in team meetings and required training programs.
- Manages the schedule in collaboration with the Practice Manager.
- All other duties as assigned.
- High standards for integrity, honesty, professionalism, and work ethic.
- Commitment to service excellence.
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating excellent organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
- Self-motivated, positive, and enthusiastic.
- Self- starter with a strong desire to exceed expectations and capable of supporting a team to achieve successful results.
- Maintains confidentiality discretion.
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives.
- Willing to grow and be challenged.
- Current licensure as a Dental Hygienist in state of practice.
- Current CPR certification.
- Knowledge of practice management software a plus.
- Ability to analyze medical records and prescribed protocol to formulate effective therapeutic treatment plans.
- Knowledge of Federal, State, an institutional regulations and guidelines for the provision of dental outpatient services.
- Ability to independently assess the nature and extent of periodontal health, perform caries risk assessments, and help in identifying conditions and pathology in dental patients.
- Ability to perform, a full range of established dental hygienist protocol and procedures.
- Knowledge of patient screening, charting, and medical history procedures and documentation.
- Knowledge and understanding of dental procedures, terminology, and techniques.
- Ability to set up and prepare dental equipment and instrumentation in accordance with established regulations and guidelines.
- Ability to effectively communicate with co-workers and patients.
- Knowledge of patient admission, triage, transfer and discharge procedures and documentation.
- Adhering to the dental office infection control plan and policies to meet OSHA, CDC, ADA, HIPAA standards.
- Ability to adhere to appropriate patient schedule guidelines.
- Maintain Continuing Education (CE) as required by state.
- Pit and fissure sealant certificate preferred as required by state.
- Ability to travel using personal car to cover other practices as needed.
- Occasional overnight including business meetings.
- Physical repetitive movements and the degree of mobility, manual dexterity and hand-eye coordination normally associated with the practice of oral hygiene.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors, and or loud noises.
- Moderate physical activity; requires handling average-weight objects up to 15-20 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours per day. Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Work environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position. ** In accordance with DentaQuest's Compliance Plan, employee must conduct DQ business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to manager or DQ's Compliance Officer. ** DentaQuest's Affirmative Action Program affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see Human Resources for additional information regarding this Program.