The Dental Director for the MAHEC Department of Dentistry will work in collaborative partnership with the Chair and Division Leadership Team in activities related to the delivery of oral health care and oral health education within all services of the Dentistry/Oral Health division.
Areas of primary responsibility include partnering to deliver an optimal environment for academic, Quality Improvement (QI), and clinic operations; ensuring accountability for provider engagement and service while also maintaining a positive provider experience; promoting an active and engaged education environment for residents, students, and other learners; collaborating with the Clinical Supervisor, UNC Adams School of Dentistry, and other key partners to promote a high standard of patient care; and communicating effectively with all team members to deliver quality care throughout the department.
- Lead a dynamic dental hygiene team as they work throughout the division
- Monitor and promote appropriate patient volume across clinical sites
- Provide assistance in creating and reviewing the attendings schedule
- Oversee internal and offsite Dental Lab interactions, organization and workflows
- Collaborate with the clinical supervisor and business office manager to oversee clinic workflow development and modification and staff allocation to optimize floor clinic flow
- Participate in teaching activities for residents and dental students, including the UNC Adams School of Dentistry partnership; participate in the orientation of new residents and student learners
- Collaborate with the providers, clinical supervisor, and other stakeholders to review and select new equipment
- Facilitate UNC Adams School of Dentistry calibrations and communication around requirements for faculty members
- Help Optimize technology throughout the division including Dentrix, Mipacs, Romexis, etc.
- Propose and Manage Quality Improvement projects, particularly regarding process improvement
- Oversee and influence the patient experience across the department
- Perform Near-miss/Incident management, reporting and follow-up
- Participate in Committees at both the department and organizational level as needed
- Review audits and provides follow-up education
- Review Patient Complaints and act as Patient Safety Point Person
- Act as an Inter-Division Liaison within MAHEC
- Create and refine clinical and triage protocols
- Perform Peer Review/Credentialing
- Promote and participate in continuing education programs for the division, including partnering with faculty to review and approve CME opportunities
- Maintain a panel of patients with scheduled patient care time
- Identification of materials needs and selection of materials
- Assist in Development and broadening of division learner experiences and patient care opportunities
Leadership Presence - Displays poise, confidence without arrogance, and authenticity. Commands respect from colleagues.
Effective Communication - Seeks to understand others’ points of view. Fosters open communication/ dialogue and does not intimidate. Communicates clearly and convincingly, keeping the audience engaged, and tailoring message to audience. Speaks and writes clearly and concisely. Encourages others to express their views, even unpopular ones. Keeps people up to date with information.
Engagement - Creates a climate in which others want to do their best and feel personally invested. Engages in shared decision‐making and invites input from team members. Conveys trust in people’s competence to do their jobs and recognizes great performance. Trusts others by delegating responsibilities and allowing appropriate autonomy. Avoids micromanaging and promotes others to take initiative.
Change Leadership - Successfully leads strategic change to meet organization goals. Manages personal response to change to comfortably handle risk and uncertainty. Effectively leads team through transitions associated with changing environment. Provides team members with appropriate support and resources to maintain ongoing delivery of high quality services.
Planning and Organizing - Effectively organizes and plans work according to organizational needs by defining objectives and anticipating needs and priorities. Efficiently manages own time and the time of others and effectively handles multiple demands and competing deadlines. Identifies goals, develops plans, estimates time frames and monitors progress. Works swiftly toward implementation.
Quest for Quality and Process Improvement - Drives continuous improvements. Works with team to Identify ways to streamline and improve efficiency of work and service delivery. Ensures that defined processes, quality standards, and best practices are adopted swiftly and updated regularly.
Coaching and Developing – You ensure professional development and engagement of diverse staff, as well as leadership succession, by giving clear, motivating, and constructive feedback. You provide coaching to promote individual development. You generously share your expertise and experience with others.
Spanish speaking skills preferred
- Ability to practice full scale dentistry
The Medical Director will have supervisory responsibility for the Dental Hygienist team.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS: Any combination of education and experience equivalent to the following:
- Minimum of three (3) years of combined clinical, educational and administrative abilities and experience.
- Must be a full-time faculty member with the Dentistry/Oral Health department at MAHEC.
- Experience in teaching in an academic or clinical setting
- Experience in large clinical settings, hospital, and/or Dental Schools
- Must possess licensure to practice medicine in North Carolina
- Must possess an active DEA license
- Must be able to maintain an appointment in good standing on the medical staff of HCA Mission
- Must be a full-time faculty member in good standing at the Adams School of Dentistry at the University of North Carolina Chapel Hill
Regular attendance on-site at both the Biltmore and Columbus Dental clinics is an essential function of this position. Typical clinical business hours are Monday – Friday, 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. Weekend, holiday, or evening coverage is occasionally required. Work hours will need to be flexible in order to respond to special work assignments, or evening, weekend, night call, and other activities, as requested by the Chair.
Throughout the COVID-19 pandemic, MAHEC has worked tirelessly to promote evidence-based practices across our entire organization. With this in mind, all MAHEC employees and learners will be required to receive the COVID-19 vaccine or have an approved exemption (for employees only).
MAHEC Talent Management is located at 121 Hendersonville Road, Asheville, NC 28803. Equal Opportunity Employer. Black, Indigenous, People of Color and Spanish/English bilingual persons are strongly encouraged to apply.
MAHEC is a certified Living Wage employer through Just Economics of Western North Carolina. We offer excellent benefits and are committed to creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable workplace.