REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
FLSA: Non-Exempt Under the general supervision of a Specialty Dentist in a practice care setting, assists the dentist in providing dental treatment. Follows and supports the CARE model for patient experience.Primary Job Responsibilities
- Assist with Specialty Doctors
- Collects and records patient health histories.
- Patient management during dental procedures, monitors patient when N20 is being used.
- Instrument transfer 4 handed dentistry while following sterile/OSHA procedures.
- Dental procedure isolation techniques.
- Prepares dental materials, cements, composite, impression materials, etc.
- Anticipates all of doctor's needs.
- Ensures operatory is set up and broken down properly.
- Conducts maintenance of all equipment; sterilizers, ultrasonic, flush lines, clean/replace traps.
- Scans reception room for patients.
- Assumes responsibility for the upkeep of the dental operatory and equipment.
- Performs routine cleaning and maintenance of assigned operatory and for assigned equipment.
- Maintain a stocked and clean operatory. Assist in updating and maintaining patient dental records to include
- Ortho and Perio charting as directed.
- Prevention and management of dental medical emergencies.
- Inventory control and management.
- Expose and develop radiographs while always using good radiation hygiene.
- Ensures all instruments are cleaned and sterilized/disinfected to meet OSHA, CDC, and ADA standards.
- Ensures Dental treatment room is properly disinfected.
- Explain post-operative care.
- Assist with Front Desk duties as assigned.
- Create treatment plans and present to the patient and/or treatment coordinator or patient coordinator on behalf
of the Dentist.
- Assist with training future Dental Assistants, mentor Dental Assistant I and Dental Assistant II Employees for specialty
- Conduct follow up calls on extensive treatments and report back to dentist.
- Assist with all training for any new equipment.
- Other duties as assigned.
- High standards for integrity, honesty, professionalism, and work ethic.
- Commitment to service excellence.
- Ability to work independently while demonstrating excellent organization and follow through.
- Demonstrates flexible and efficient time management and ability to prioritize workload.
- Ability and willingness to move with purpose and a strong sense of urgency.
- Self-motivated, positive, and enthusiastic.
- Self- starter with a strong desire to exceed expectations and capable of supporting a team to achieve successful results.
- Maintains confidentiality discretion.
- Ability to effectively work in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives.
- Willing to grow and be challenged.
- High School Diploma or GED.
- Leadership, critical thinking, organizational and prioritization skills.
- Certification in Dental Assisting
- 1 year experience in specialty field preferred.
- Current CPR, BLS and PALS preferred or ability to obtain in 30 days as required by specialty
- Radiology, EFDA. EFODA, DAANCE as required by specialty
- Experience with scheduling in a patient based setting
- Experience with hospital care as needed per specialty
- Ability to work Monday through Friday and occasional weekends as scheduled and based on business need.
- Demonstrates excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to meet OSHA, CDC, ADA and HIPAA standards
- Computer Literacy, i.e.; Proficient with basic applications including MS Outlook, Word, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors, and or loud noises.
- Moderate Physical activity; requires handling average-weight objects up to 15-20 pounds or standing and/or walking for more than 4 hours per day. Sitting for extended periods of time.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training.
- Work Environment involves exposure to potentially dangerous materials and situations that require following extensive safety precautions and may include the use of protective equipment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position. ** In accordance with DentaQuest's Compliance Plan, employee must conduct DQ business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to manager or DQ's Compliance Officer. ** DentaQuest's Affirmative Action Program affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see Human Resources for additional information regarding this Program.