LCSOHDM Founding Dean/Chief Academic Officer- The Lyon College Institute of Health Sciences (LCIHS) is seeking an experienced leader in dental education to serve as the founding Dean of the School of Oral Health and Dental Medicine (LC-SOHDM). LCIHS is seeking an inspirational leader with proven administrative experience to work closely with faculty, staff, and administrators within the school and beyond to foster excellence in teaching and learning, research and scholarship, and outreach and service. The Dean will provide visionary leadership to determine forward-looking change in dental education and create an ambitious plan for the future.
The Dean serves as the chief academic and executive officer of the School, reports to the Provost of Lyon College, and represents LC-SOHDM in institution-level discussions and strategic initiatives, as well as working with other deans as a member of the Lyon College Deans Council.
The Dean will have substantial opportunities to develop, lead, and establish a revolutionary educational model for professional preparation. Important early opportunities and challenges include:
- Building and supporting a diverse and inclusive internal community.
- Establishing and executing a forward-thinking strategic plan.
- Developing and maintaining critical relationships across the College and broader community.
- Engaging with alumni, the public, community leaders, organized dentistry, state and federal policy leaders, and potential donors.
- Ability to provide strategic and intellectual leadership and administrative oversight for the Schools’ educational, clinical, research, service, and patience care programs.
- Collaborative in approach with faculty, students and staff in order to create and sustain a unified vision for the School, to advance the School’s quality, reputation, stature, and goals, and to ensure the seamless integration of the graduate program with the mission and vision of Lyon College.
- Ability to work as a leader and champion for the School alongside alumni and the dental community of practitioners to build and maintain financial and programmatic support for LC-SOHDM.
- Candidates must have a DDS, DMD, or equivalent terminal degree in a relevant field as well as a proven record of achievement commensurate with CODA requirements.
- Track record of successful leadership in education, research, clinical care, service, and administrative management.
- Distinguished academic background with a record of scholarly achievement, a history of teaching effectiveness, a record of administrative effectiveness, and an acknowledged reputation in the provision of exemplary health care.
- Demonstrated success in managing and leading a complex organization undergoing significant and persistent change.
- Demonstrated ability to build a sense of community and to actively engage faculty, staff, students, alumni, and oral health professionals in support of a shared strategic vision.
- Demonstrated success in enhancing the education and research agenda of an academic unit or program, in responding to student needs and building environments that enhance student learning, and in building programs and environments that enhance faculty research productivity.
- Demonstrated interest and ability in generating external funding, including private fundraising for the school.
- Demonstrated commitment and success in promoting and supporting diversity, equity, and inclusion in the recruitment and retention of faculty, staff, and students.
- Exceptional interpersonal and communications skills; the ability to listen attentively to varied perspectives; the ability to foster a supportive and collaborative working environment.
- A collegial, consultative management style, with the ability to be strong and decisive while also considering the needs and perspectives of faculty, staff, and students. The ability to collaborate and delegate along with the ability to make difficult and timely decisions based on well-considered input.
- The ability to represent the School effectively; to build strong relationships with internal and external constituents, to be an effective advocate for the School and the advancement of the professions; and to demonstrate political astuteness that allows one to be an effective liaison between the School and external stakeholders, including practicing dentists and other health professionals, affiliates, health care systems, business and industry, and local, state, and federal policymakers.
- A clear understanding and interest in embracing new pedagogical and clinical care techniques, such as use of digital dentistry, to meet current and future needs of learners and clinicians.
- A high level of integrity and professionalism, and a commitment to support the professional development of faculty and staff.
Lyon College is a USN&WR “top tier” national liberal arts college and recognized by Forbes as “One of America’s Top Colleges.” Affiliated with the Presbyterian Church (USA), it is located in the foothills of the Ozarks in Batesville, Arkansas. The College enrolls approximately 600 undergraduate students from thirty-two states and nineteen foreign countries. Founded in 1872, the College is one of the oldest institutions of higher education in Arkansas and offers undergraduates exceptional preparation for their post-baccalaureate objectives, particularly in STEM fields, Business, Economics and Accounting, and the Arts. The Lyon College Biology program is recognized as the top biology program among private colleges in Arkansas, and the College’s average medical school acceptance rate is more than twice the national average at 87% annually. In partnership with OneHealth Education Group, Lyon College is developing the Lyon College Institute of Health Sciences which will house the Lyon College School of Oral Health and Dental Medicine and the Lyon College School of Veterinary Medicine. OneHealth uses innovative capital structures & consultative solutions to support the launch of highly innovative & efficient professional healthcare programs, reducing the debt burden of professionals, and addressing undersupply challenges facing communities lacking ample access to care.
Interested candidates should apply electronically at www.lyon.edu/employment. Review of the applications will begin immediately and continue until the position is filled. To learn more about Lyon College go to www.lyon.edu.
Lyon College does not discriminate with respect to the hiring of applicants or with respect to the terms, conditions, or privileges of employment because of race, color, religion, gender, age, disability, sexual orientation, or national origin. It is the continuing policy of Lyon College to comply with any applicable state and federal law regarding equal employment opportunities.