JOB TITLE: Dental Assistant
REPORTS TO: Practice Manager
FLSA: Non-Exempt JOB SUMMARY: Under general supervision of a Dentist in a practice care setting, assists the dentist in providing dental treatment and partner to support purchasing, facilities and safety/risk/compliance functions. PRIMARY JOB RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Responsible for utilizing inventory appropriately and management of dental supplies.
- Sterilization hands-on training and daily process including daily checks that all instruments in inventory have been sterilized properly oversight
- Spore testing oversight, ensuring weekly testing is completed and recorded
- Dental water unit line maintenance oversight
- Vacuum line maintenance oversight
- Dental equipment maintenance oversight
- Provides additional support as requested with Risk and PM on Radiology and Nitrous Oxide monitoring
- Biohazard disposal oversight
- Assist PM with completing OSHA onsite walkthrough with new hires at onboarding and the current annual office OHSA walkthrough/checklist
- Monthly safety audit oversight, ensuring information is entered in to Service Channel
- Ensuring all clinical staff are following disinfection processes of all clinical area, per current policy and SOP
- Partner with Risk, Lead Dentist and PM to ensure all employees have completed Fit-testing upon hire and subsequent annual testing.
- Collaborate with the Practice Manager and Lead Doctor to provide leadership and support to maximize team performance to meet operational objectives and goals.
- Responsible for assisting with patient paperwork, including charting dental needs and documenting patient oral and medical health records
- Assists dentist(s) in all clinical and chairside dental procedures, which includes patient management through treatment.
- Responsible for taking and developing x-rays as prescribed by the dentist while following radiographic safety measures, upon certification.
- Performs sterilization and disinfection techniques of dental instruments and treatment rooms as required by OSHA, CDC, and ADA guidelines.
- Communicates effectively and compassionately to patients about dental treatment needs and recommendations as prescribed by the dentist(s); this includes discussing home care and post-operative care after procedures and surgeries.
- Prepares various materials such as dental cements, impression materials or other restorative materials as prescribed by the dentist(s) or hygienist.
- Completes follow up calls on extensive treatments and reports back to dentist.
- Responsible for setup of treatment room, to include keeping the room organized and properly maintained.
- Assists with training future Dental Assistant I employees, mentor Dental Assistant I and Dental Assistant II employees; which includes training for any new equipment.
- Following appropriate training, responsible for the maintenance of all dental equipment.
- Assists in the prevention and management of dental medical emergencies.
- Assists with front desk or other administrative duties as assigned.
- Attends and participates in team meetings, and effectively works in collaboration with others to achieve business objectives; conducts Dental Assistant meetings on a frequent and reoccurring basis within the practice with the doctors and office manager present for insight and input.
- Maintains patient records in compliance with HIPAA.
- Other duties as needed or required.
- High School Diploma or GED required.
- Pass the competency skills checklist
- Knowledge of insurance and treatment plans
- Strong leadership, organizational and prioritization skills
- For states that have advanced certifications or licensure for expanded functions, at least one of the following certifications may be required to meet job expectations: EFDA, EFODA, EFOSA, etc.
- Certified in Expanded Functions, non-restorative, where required by state, to perform skills such as coronal polish, sealant application, temporary restorations and monitoring nitrous oxide.
- Strong customer service and communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to adapt to changes and manage time effectively.
- Current CPR, BLS or PALS required or ability to obtain within 30 days of start date.
- Radiology certificate as required by state, or willingness to obtain within 180 days of start date.
- Ability to work Monday-Friday and occasional weekends as scheduled and based on business needs
- Ability to maintain continuing education (CE) as required by state or business requirements.
- Ability to travel to work at other practices as needed.
- Advanced certifications such as: Nitrous, DAANCE, Pit and Fissure Sealant, Soft-Reline, Coronal Polishing, and /or EFODA if state applicable.
- Minimum of 4 years of experience as a dental assistant.
- Work involves considerable exposure to unusual elements, such as extreme temperatures, unpleasant odors, and/or loud noises.
- Will work with blood or blood-borne pathogens and will require OSHA training
- Incumbent must be able to communicate effectively.
- Requires overall light physical effort (up to 25lbs.)
- Manual dexterity and sitting is required in carrying out position own position responsibilities (i.e. use of personal compute).
- Ability to travel or move about within and outside serviced facilities required.
- Incumbent works primarily in either a private or shared office environment.
The specific statements shown in each section of this description are not intended to be all-inclusive. They represent typical elements and criteria necessary to successfully perform this position.
** In accordance with DentaQuest's Compliance Plan, employee must conduct DQ business in accordance with applicable laws, regulations, professional standards and ethical standards and report potential compliance or ethical issues to manager or DQ's Compliance Officer. **
DentaQuest's Affirmative Action Program affirms our commitment to make reasonable accommodation to the known physical or mental limitation of otherwise-qualified individuals with disabilities or special disabled veterans, unless the accommodation would impose an undue hardship on the operation of our business. Please see Human Resources for additional information regarding this Program.