STAFF DENTIST Full-time (3+ years experience)
The Staff Dentist provides leadership in all areas relating to the dental services at Johnson Health Center’s (JHC) James River Dental Clinic (JRDC) and/or Bedford Dental Clinic (BDC) and/or Atherholt Dental Center (ADC) and/or the Mobile Dental Unit (MDU). Responsible for recommending and implementing dental policies and procedures; providing dental services and education to the patients of JRDC and/or BDC and/or ADC and Mobile Dental Unit; supervising the dental staff; ensuring continuous quality improvement in dental services; representing JHC and JRDC/BDC/ADC at organizations concerned with dentistry services to the underserved; and act as an integral part of the clinical and administrative management team of the health center.
1. Educates patients on dental disease and preventative home care, including brushing and flossing techniques.
2. Teaches and counsels patients and families in a culturally sensitive manner.
Staff Relations/Team Building:
1. Supervises and provides daily direction to all dental clinic staff conducive to efficient productivity and to fostering a professional and pleasant working environment.
2. Assists in the provision of continuing education, on-the-job training, and the orientation of new staff as needed.
3. Articulate thoughts and ideas, including suggestions for change, in a non-threatening manner.
4. Develop excellent working relationships with JHC staff and community partners.
5. Work with supervisor and other staff in a positive and professional manner. Provide constructive feedback and communicate accurate information.
6. Lead department meetings with staff.
7. Meet with supervisor as requested to discuss any clinical or administrative concerns.
8. Demonstrate reliability by reporting to work on time, keeping the assigned schedule and keeping supervisor informed of any changes to the schedule.
9. Dress appropriately and professionally for the position.
1. Must demonstrate excellent internal and external customer service skills and work well within a team setting.
2. Provides comprehensive and emergency dental care to patients including clinical and radiographic diagnosis and treatment planning, dental prophylaxis and scaling, application of sealants, limited restorative and endodontic treatment, extractions and limited oral surgery, writing of prescriptions.
3. Records patient-dentist transactions as they occur in the patient’s electronic dental record.
4. Provides education for patients regarding nutrition, oral hygiene, and accident prevention.
5. Develops and directs the Dental Health Care Plan and delivery of services based on input from the Medical Director, patient demographics, and the epidemiology of the community (including specific populations), establishing goals, outcomes and strategies for prevention activities, acute care and chronic disease management.
6. Evaluates effectiveness of Dental Health Care Plan by data collection and reporting of measurable parameters.
7. Represents the dental clinic in the local community and at the state level (e.g., local clinics, Virginia Department of Health Division of Dentistry, advocacy groups, local agencies, and professional societies) to foster collaborative relationships, partnerships, and strategies to improve access to dental care for all.
8. Physical attendance is an essential element of the job and necessary to perform the essential functions of the Dental Director position.
Safety/Infection Control Activities:
1. Attends all mandatory OSHA infection control seminars, and follows general OSHA guidelines for infection control, including “Universal Precautions”.
2. Abides by all Johnson Health Center infection control policies, including acute response measures in the setting of a public health concern or disease outbreak.
1. Employee will abide by the Code of conduct as documented in the Corporate Compliance Manual.
2. Must demonstrate a personal and professional commitment to Johnson Health Center and its mission.
3. Treats all patients and staff with dignity and respect, mindful of the cultural differences of the diverse population we serve.
4. Management may modify, add or remove any job functions as necessary, or as changing organizational needs require.
5. Represents the dental clinic in the local community and at the state level (e.g., local clinics, Virginia Department of Health Division of Dentistry, advocacy groups, local agencies, and professional societies) to foster collaborative.
JHC Core Values:
Employees must actively demonstrate dedication and commitment to the core values of JHC.
Respect – We value and respect each patient, their family, ourselves, and each other.
Integrity – We are committed to doing the right thing every time.
Excellence – We will pursue excellence each and every day in activities that foster teamwork, quality improvement, patient care, innovation, and efficiencies.
Innovation – We value creativity, flexibility, and continuous improvement efforts.
Teamwork – We understand that teamwork is the essence of our ability to succeed.
The Staff Dentist reports to, is supervised by, and evaluated by the Dental Director.
1. Graduation from an accredited dental school
2. Minimum of three years clinical experience preferred
3. Knowledge of community health principles and practices preferred
4. Administrative, management and budget development experience preferred
5. Excellent interpersonal and written communication skills required
6. Ability to maintain appropriate clinical privileges required
7. Requires a comprehensive knowledge of primary dental care in outpatient settings.
8. Knowledge of the principles and practice of modern dentistry as related to public health organizations and community health programs as well as current social and economic problems pertaining to public health and their impact on primary health care.
9. Must be able to creatively work with other health care professionals from a variety of disciplines to achieve maximal productivity and programmatic effectiveness while continuously promoting the growth and development of fellow professionals, exercising appropriate supervisory control and displaying good work judgment.
- 403(b) 403(b) matching Health, Dental, Vision Insurance Employee Assistance Program Flex Spending Account (medical and dependent care) Health savings account Life insurance Paid Time Off Relocation Assistance Tuition reimbursement CME
- Staff Dentist: 3 years or more (Required)
- Dental License (Required)