Supervisory Dental Assistant (Expanded Function)
JOB TITLE: Supervisory Dental Assistant (Expanded Function)
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: IHS-19-BJ-10539082-ESEP/MP
OPEN PERIOD: July 11, 2019 through December 31, 2019
SERIES & GRADE: GS 7
WHO MAY APPLY: All US Citizens
- Responsible for planning, coordinating, oversight and execution of all of the training needs of dental assistant staff.
- Plans the daily work distribution for all dental assistant staff and supervises the flow of patients to assure a uniform and constant clinical work load.
- Ensures dental assistants demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
- Assists the dentist to perform all preventive, periodontal, restorative, pediatric, endodontic, surgical, and prosthetic dentistry procedures
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary/trial period
ESEP appointees typically serve a two year trial period
U.S. Citizenship is required
Must pass pre-employment examination.
Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959
Public Law 97-35 requires that persons who administer radiologic procedures meet the credentialing standards in 42 CFR Part 75. Essentially, they must (l) have successfully completed an educational program that meets or exceeds the standards described in that regulation, and is accredited by an organization recognized by the Department of Education, and (2) be certified as radiographers in their field. The following meet these requirements:
- Persons employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel prior to the effective date of the regulation (January 13, 1986) who show evidence of current or fully satisfactory performance or certification of such from a licensed practitioner such as a doctor of medicine, osteopathy, dentistry, podiatry, or chiropractic who prescribes radiologic procedures to others.
- Persons first employed by the Federal Government as radiologic personnel after the effective date of the regulation who (a) received training from institutions in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not accredit training in that particular field at the time of graduation, or (b) practiced in a State or foreign jurisdiction that did not license that particular field or did not allow special eligibility to take a licensure examination for those who did not graduate from an accredited educational program, provided such persons show evidence of training, experience, and competence, as determined by OPM or the employing agency.
In addition to the Basic Requirements, you must also meet the Minimum Qualifications stated below.
GS-07: One (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to the GS-06 grade level ; OR Completion of one (1) full year (18 semester hours) of graduate level education that is directly related to the work of the position OR A combination of education and experience that when combined fully meet the minimum qualifications for this position. The total percentage equals at least 100 percent to qualify for this GS-07 grade level.
Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector performing the following type of work and/or tasks:
Examples of Specialized Experience
For GS-07: Restores teeth after preparation has been accomplished. Makes adjustments as needed for minimizing the disruption of patient care. Assigns workload and duties of dental assistant personnel. Develops and evaluates employee work performance. Performs administrative supervision of multiple employees. Provides chair-side assistance and dental therapy duties for general dentists and dental specialists in all aspects of dentistry. Supervises the maintenance of clinic records being recorded by subordinates.
Special Requirements for GS-5 and above Dental Assistant (Expanded Function)
Applicants for Dental Assistant (Expanded Function) positions must have completed 1 year of acceptable course work, preceptorship, or other formal training and/or work assignments specifically designed to equip them with knowledge and skills required to perform intra-oral procedures involved in the position to be filled.