JOB TITLE: Staff Dentist
JOB ANNOUNCEMENT NUMBER: IHS-20-NJ-10705452-DE
OPEN PERIOD: February 3, 2020 through December 31, 2020
SERIES & GRADE: GS 11 - 12
WHO MAY APPLY: All U.S. Citizens
- Performs clinical dental work, which includes such duties as follows, but it is expected that the incumbent regularly encounters, diagnoses, and administers treatment for dental diseases and dental health problems of greater than usual difficulty.
- Provides clinical dental care including oral and radiographic examinations of the oral cavity, diagnoses pathological or irregular conditions, restorations of simple and complex nature with standard and prescribed materials (glass ionomer, amalgam, composites, etc.).
- Request any required dental, radiographs and performs radiographic interpretations. May take mouth impressions and bite registrations for night guards, uncomplicated pulp canal therapy, periodontal therapy including the removal of calculus and gingival curettage.
- Develops patient treatment plans and insures proper referral of patients for necessary medical evaluations by specialty service care if beyond the scope of general dental practice.
- Preventive services includes topical fluoride, fluoride rinse programs in the schools, and the school sealant programs. Corrective services of pedodontics, exodontia, endodontic therapy, oral surgery, prosthodontics, and other services requiring complex knowledge and skill.
- Selectee may be subject to a probationary period.
- U.S. Citizenship is required.
- Must pass pre-employment examination.
- Selective Service Registration is required for males born after 12/31/1959.
- Confidential Financial Disclosure Form required.
- On-call hours or standby duty may be required.
- Applicants must have a Doctor of Dental Medicine (DMD) or Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS) degree from a school approved by the American Dental Association (ADA) or the Commission on Dental Accreditation (CODA) or an accrediting body recognized by the U.S. Department of Education at the time the degree was obtained.
- Applicants must have passed the National Board Dental Examinations (NBDE) which are developed and administered by the Joint Commission on National Dental Examinations (JCNDE) and possess a current, full, and unrestricted license to practice dentistry in a State, the District of Columbia, the Commonwealth of Puerto Rico, or a territory of the United States.
- GS-11: Applicants who meet the above basic requirements qualify for the GS-11 grade level.
- GS-12: In addition to the above Basic Requirements for the GS-11 (or equivalent) level, applicants must complete a 2-year residency program in dentistry, oral health, craniofacial sciences, or a related medical science; -OR- equivalent experience, equivalent to at least the next lower grade level, and/or training.
- Your resume must demonstrate at least one (1) year of specialized experience equivalent to at least the next lower grade level in the Federal service obtained in either the private or public sector.